Built by Henry Hutchinson around the time of his marriage to Rosa Swinton in 1885, the Hutchinson House is the oldest intact house identified with the African American community on Edisto Island after the Civil War. Hutchinson was born enslaved in 1860, and according...
News
Rev. I. DeQuincey Newman House
Isaiah DeQuincey Newman, Methodist minister, civil rights leader, and state senator, lived here from 1960 until his death in 1985. Born in Darlington County, he attended Claflin College and was a graduate of Clark College and Gammon Theological Seminary. Newman was a...
Immanuel School
The Immanuel School, built in 1889-1890, is significant for its association with the privately-funded parochial education of black children in Aiken and surrounding South Carolina counties from 1890 until it closed in 1932. In 2004, it was purchased by a group of...
Harvey Gantt Desegregates Clemson University (January 28, 1963)
Clemson University became the first white college or university in the state to integrate after Reconstruction. Harvey B. Gantt, a Charleston native wanting to study architecture, applied for admission in 1961. When Clemson delayed admitting him, he sued in federal...
Jacob Bedenbaugh House
The Jacob Bedenbaugh House, built c. 1860, is significant in social history because of Jacob and Sarah Bedenbaugh, an interracial couple who weathered the prejudices of a society that was bent on keeping whites and blacks separate. Jacob purchased the property in 1858...
James A. Bowley House
In the 1870s, this was the home of James Alfred Bowley (c.1844-1891). Born enslaved in Maryland, Bowley was the great nephew of Harriet Tubman (c.1822-1913). In 1850, Tubman and Bowley’s free father organized a plan to free Bowley and his mother and sister, making...
James M. Hinton House
This is the site of the home of James Miles Hinton, businessman, civil rights pioneer and minister. Hinton moved to Columbia in 1939 and was elected president of the Columbia branch of the NAACP. He was president of the state conference from 1941 through 1958, as it...
James Simons Elementary School: The Desegregation of Charleston Public Schools
The school was built in 1919. In 1955 the Charleston Branch of the NAACP petitioned the school board to desegregate all public city schools. In 1960, nine parents, with support from the NAACP, applied for their children’s transfer to four white schools, including this...
Gifford Rosenwald School
The first (c. 1921) of four Rosenwald schools in Hampton County, it had two to five teachers for an average of almost 200 students a year in grades 1-9 until it closed in 1958. Since then the facility has been used for church services and Sunday school classes. Marker...
Good Hope Baptist Church
This church has its origins in Walnut Grove Baptist Church, c. 1820, which had both white and black members before the Civil War. After the war, black members asked for letters of dismissal to organize a new church, founded around 1870 with Rev. W.L. Evans as its...
Good Hope Picnic
The Good Hope Picnic, a celebration of the end of the planting season, is the oldest African American event in the Lone Star community. Founded in August 1915 by farmers to market their produce and held on the second Friday in August, it has often included games and...
Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital
Established in 1938 by the merger of two older hospitals, Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital (GSWH) served the Black community in Columbia and surrounding counties for 35 years. It merged Good Samaritan Hospital, founded in 1910 by Dr. William S. Rhodes and his wife,...
Goodwill Parochial School
This two-story wood frame building was constructed c. 1890 to replace an earlier building associated with Goodwill Parochial School. The school had been established soon after the end of the Civil War by the Committee on Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church in the...
Granard Graded and High School
This is the original location of Granard Graded and High School, also known as Granard Street School. It was built here between 1905 and 1914 and included the first black high school in Gaffney. A new Granard High was built on Rutledge Avenue in 1937. The 1937 Granard...










