William Hill / Hill’s Ironworks
This historic marker narrates the story of William Hill, who served in the American Revolution. Hill built an ironworks near here on Allison Creek about 1776. Hill and his partner, Isaac Hayne, manufactured swivel guns, kitchen utensils, cannon, ammunition, and various farm tools. Burned by British Captain Christian Huck in June 1780, Hill rebuilt in 1787- 1788 near here on Allison Creek. Hill’s Ironworks consisted of two furnaces, four gristmills, two sawmills, and about fifteen thousand acres of land by 1795. Around eighty blacks were employed here as forgemen, blacksmiths, founders, miners, and other occupations.