The Parsonage/Miss Izard’s School
“The Parsonage,” the home of Rev. James B. Middleton, stood here at 5 Short Court (now President’s Place) until 1916. Middleton and his siblings, born slaves, were taught to read and write by their father. After the Civil War, Rev. Middleton, his father and brother organized and served as pastors of many Methodist churches in the Lowcountry. The home at 7 Short Court (now President’s Place as well) was built in 1872 and belonged to Rev. Middleton’s niece, Anna Eliza Izard. She was a graduate of the Avery Normal Institute and taught school here for many years.