St. Mark AME
Organized in 1885 from Liberty Hill AME Church, the first St. Mark AME Church was a frame building. In 1905, the congregation purchased a church from the Presbyterian Church and moved it to the site. This building was struck by lightning and burned in 1915. The church rebuilt that same year the present building. St. Mark AME often served as a meeting place for African American students and parents of Summerton, including the petetioners in the Briggs v. Elliottsuit, as they fought for equal access to education.