St. James Rosenwald School
The school, which was located at this site from the late 1920s until the early 1970s, was one of several Rosenwald schools in the county. Rev. Smart Small, Sr. (1891-1961), assisted by Eugene Beaty (1889-1958), Dave Carr (1886-1992), Henry Small (1897-1999), and Richard Small, Sr. (1893-1950) led fundraising efforts. It closed in 1970 after desegregation. Marker erected by the Burgess Organization for the Advancement of Young People, Inc., 2005.
KEYWORDS: ROSENWALD, BURGESS, HORRY COUNTY, GULLAH GEECHEE CULTURAL HERITAGE CORRIDOR