Robert Weston Mance House
The Robert Weston Mance House, built in 1903, stood at the corner of Pine and Hampton Streets before it was moved to Heidt Street in 2008. A two-story American Foursquare frame house, it was built for grocers Thomas J. and Ida Roberts, whose store was next door. Rev. Robert W. Mance acquired the house in 1922 and lived here while he was president of Allen University. After his death, Dr. Robert W. Mance, Jr. lived here until 1957, and was a superintendent of Waverly Hospital and a civil rights activist. A new dormitory project here resulted in the relocation of the house.
KEYWORDS: NATIONAL REGISTER, ALLEN UNIVERSITY, COLUMBIA, RICHLAND COUNTY