Peoples Hospital, the first and only hospital for African Americans in the county from 1937 until Newberry County Memorial Hospital was desegregated in 1952, stood here until 1970. It was founded by Dr. Julian Edward Grant (1900-1997), who practiced medicine in Newberry County for more than 50 years. Grant, a native of Marlboro County, was educated at Claflin University and Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tenn., before moving to Newberry in 1930. The building, later the Vincent Street Community Center after the hospital closed in 1952, was demolished in 1970 to build Vincent Street Park.
KEYWORDS: HOSPITAL, NEWBERRY, CLAFLIN UNIVERSITY, VINCENT STREET PARK