Old Pilgrim Baptist Church / Old Pilgrim Rosenwald School
This church was founded in 1868 by black members of nearby Clear Spring Baptist Church. Rev. John Abraham, their first pastor, held services in a brush arbor until a log church was built on this site. In 1894 it took its current name. Old Pilgrim Rosenwald School, named for the church, was built in 1930. The school operated until 1954, with three teachers responsible for as many as 83 elementary school students in grades 1-7. Marker sponsored by Old Pilgrim Baptist Church, 2013.
KEYWORDS: BRUSH ARBOR, RECONSTRUCTION, SIMPSONVILLE, GREENVILLE COUNTY