Old Marine Hospital
After the Civil War, this building became a school for African American children, but from 1895 to 1939 it was the home of Jenkins Orphanage. The orphanage was established by Rev. Daniel J. Jenkins for African American children who were orphans or who had poor or disabled parents. Enrollment at the orphanage grew to more than 500 children. The Jenkins Orphanage Band, wearing uniforms discarded by the Citadel, performed throughout the country and in England raising money to support the orphanage.
KEYWORDS: MUSIC, JAZZ, ORPHANAGE, “THE CHARLESTON,” GULLAH GEECHEE CULTURAL HERITAGE CORRIDOR