Oconee County Training School
Oconee County Training School (OCTS) educated African American children (1925-1955). It was originally funded by local taxes and the Peabody fund and was built with eight classrooms. Later it expanded to 26 classrooms for grades 1-10. In 1946, grade 12 was added. OCTS taught academic classes and trades. More than 700 students attended OCTS between 1925 and 1955. The building later housed East End Elementary School for African American children until Oconee schools became integrated in 1970, then housed Seneca Preschool from 1972-1992. Presently, the building is used as a day facility, Senior Solutions, where activities for senior citizens are offered.
KEYWORDS: SCHOOL, SENECA, OCONEE COUNTY