Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church
This church was erected about 1854 and was originally a Congregational Church affiliated with Old Wappetaw Church, founded about 1699. It served as a Confederate hospital during the Civil War, then briefly housed the Laing School for Freedmen during Reconstruction. The church was accepted into the Charleston Presbytery as a mission church and renamed Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church in 1870.
KEYWORDS: CIVIL WAR, RECONSTRUCTION, FREEDMEN, MOUNT PLEASANT, CHARLESTON COUNTY, GULLAH GEECHEE CULTURAL HERITAGE CORRIDOR