Marlboro Training High School
This school, built in 1928 and founded by the Marlboro Educational Society, was the first high school for black students in the county. It included students in grades 1-11 until 1948 and added grade 12 in 1949. It was an elementary school 1956-1972, then was a child development center for the school district until 1987. The Colonial Revival school was designed by Bennettsville architect Henry Dudley Harrall (1878-1959). Charles D. Wright, Sr., principal here from 1929 to his death in 1949, was its longest-serving principal, responsible for many advances in its curriculum.
KEYWORDS: BENNETTSVILLE, MARLBORO, SCHOOL