Liberty Hill, include but make St. Peter’s the entry, if it’s standing and open to the public. Ask Alada
Established in 1871, this is the oldest community in what is now the city of North Charleston. In 1864, Paul and Harriet Trescot, free persons of color living in Charleston, owned 112 acres here. They sold land to Ishmael Grant, Aaron Middleton, and Plenty and William Lecque for a Freedmen settlement. These African American men donated an acre to St. Peter’s African Methodist Episcopal Church. St. Peter’s, founded in 1861, is at 4650 Sanders Ave. and is an active member of the Liberty Hill church community. The state marker is at Felix Pinckney Community Center, 4790 Hassell Street.