Laurens County Training School
The Laurens County Training School, located here 1924-1954 had its origins in Gray Court School, a one-room school founded c. 1890 on the grounds of Pleasant View Baptist Church. The training school, opened in 1924 in a building constructed with assistance from the Rosenwald Fund, taught grades 8-11 until 1948. This school, at first emphasizing farming and homemaking skills, later expanded its curriculum to include more academic courses and became an accredited high school in 1948-49 with the addition of grade 12. The school closed and was later demolished when Laurens County schools were consolidated in 1954.
KEYWORDS: GRAY COURT SCHOOL, BAPTIST, ROSENWALD, GRAY COURT, LAURENS COUNTY