Knights of Wise Men Lodge Hall
The Knights of Wise Men was organized in 1870 to provide financial and farming assistance to the families of its members. The Knights purchased this property at the rear of The Green in 1889 for $8.00 and built a two-story wood frame building, which burned in 1940. The current concrete building was constructed shortly thereafter by local masons. It is similar in fashion to the earlier building. At its height in the 1920s, the Knights of Wise Men had some 350 members. The lodge is still used during times of celebration.
KEYWORDS: NATIONAL REGISTER, ST. HELENA ISLAND, BEAUFORT COUNTY, GULLAH GEECHEE CULTURAL HERITAGE CORRIDOR