Jerusalem Baptist Church
Organized soon after the Civil War, Jerusalem Baptist Church is one of the oldest black churches in Darlington County. The first services were held under a brush arbor at a site a few miles from here, and later in a log building there. The church trustees acquired this property in 1898 and built the current church in 1907. In 1939 the original frame building was covered in brick veneer, a “splendid achievement” during the Great Depression. Rev. Henry H. Butler, pastor from 1932 until his death in 1948, also served as principal of Butler School and president of Morris College.
KEYWORDS: BRUSH ARBOR, RECONSTRUCTION, MORRIS COLLEGE, HARTSVILLE, DARLINGTON COUNTY