James Simons Elementary School / Desegregation of Charleston Schools
The school was built in 1919. In 1955 the Charleston Branch of the NAACP petitioned the school board to desegregate all public city schools. In 1960, nine parents, with support from the NAACP, applied for their children’s transfer to four white schools, including this one. Denied by the board and on appeal, they sued in federal court in 1962 and won their case in 1963. On September 3, 1963, 11 black students entered James Simons plus three other schools. The renovated school is currently in use, the state marker is located on the Moultrie St. side.