Holly Hill Rosenwald School
The Holly Hill Rosenwald School once stood near this location. Built 1926-27, the Holly Hill School was the third school for African American students built in the area and one of almost 500 funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation (1917-32). Separate lunch room, home economics, and library buildings were later added. In 1946 the main school building was lost to fire. It was replaced by a new building in 1948 and in 1954 a modern high school was constructed on Pratt St. with funds from S.C.’s school equalization program.
KEYWORDS: ROSENWALD SCHOOLS, EQUALIZATION SCHOOLS, HOLLY HILL, ORANGEBURG COUNTY