Harriet Barber House
In 1872 Samuel Barber and his wife Harriet, both former slaves, bought 42.5 acres here from the S.C. Land Commission. Barber, a well-digger as a slave, was a farmer and minister after the Civil War. The Barber family has owned a major portion of this tract since Samuel and Harriet Barber purchased it in 1872. This one-story frame house was built c. 1880. The Barbers’ son, Rev. John B. Barber, inherited the property in 1899. He was a schoolteacher and pastor of St. Mark and New Light Beulah Baptist churches.
KEYWORDS: SLAVERY, FREEDMEN, CIVIL WAR, HOPKINS, RICHLAND COUNTY