Granard Graded and High School
This is the original location of Granard Graded and High School, also known as Granard Street School. It was built here between 1905 and 1914 and included the first black high school in Gaffney. A new Granard High was built on Rutledge Avenue in 1937. The 1937 Granard High School included grades 1-11 until 1947, then added grade 12. Standard courses for grades 8-11 were supplemented by industrial and home economics courses, sports, music, art, and other activities. The school closed in 1968 when Cherokee County schools were desegregated.
KEYWORDS: GAFFNEY, CHEROKEE COUNTY