Good Hope Baptist Church
This church has its origins in Walnut Grove Baptist Church, c. 1820, which had both white and black members before the Civil War. After the war, black members asked for letters of dismissal to organize a new church, founded around 1870 with Rev. W.L. Evans as its first pastor. The Good Hope Baptist Church congregation erected this historical marker in 2006.
KEYWORDS: CHURCH, HODGES, GREENWOOD COUNTY