Dunton Chapel Methodist Church
The first school for African American students in Gaffney was opened at this church in 1899 under the direction of Rev. R.C. Campbell. By 1920 it remained as one of only 10 schools in the county that served African American students. A night school serving adults was also operated at Dunton Chapel. The grade school remained in operation into the 1920s. The church can trace its origins back to 1870. Originally known as the Church of Gaffney, it was renamed Dunton Chapel in 1888 to honor Dr. Lewis M. Dunton, presiding elder of the Greenville District of the M.E. Church.