Rev. James Graham built this house c. 1785. It became known as “the Mission” during Reconstruction, when Mrs. Rachel C. Mather of Boston occupied the house. She and other Baptist missionaries built Mather School in Beaufort to educate African Americans. The house is included in the Beaufort Historic District.
KEYWORDS: NATIONAL REGISTER, BEAUFORT, RECONSTRUCTION, MATHER SCHOOL, GULLAH GEECHEE CULTURAL HERITAGE CORRIDOR