Darlington Memorial Cemetery
Established in 1890 by Macedonia Baptist Church, this cemetery was the first created for the African American community in Darlington. In 1946 both Bethel AME Church and St. James Methodist Church established cemeteries adjacent to the Macedonia Baptist Church Cemetery, and today the three are collectively known as Darlington Memorial Cemetery. With some 1900 interments, the cemetery reflects the gravestone art of the late 19th through the 20th centuries and includes the graves of many prominent African American citizens of the town.
KEYWORDS: BAPTIST, AME, METHODIST, DARLINGTON