Clinton Memorial Cemetery
More than 300 members of Lancaster’s black community are buried here, with the first grave dating to 1864. Originally the Clinton family cemetery, it was donated to Mt. Zion AME Church in 1960. This cemetery is named for Isom Caleb Clinton, born a slave, but organized Mt. Carmel AME Zion Church in 1866 and served as an elder for many years until he became a bishop in the AME Zion Church in 1892. He also founded one of the first black public schools in Lancaster County and served as county treasurer both during and after Reconstruction.
KEYWORDS: AME ZION CHURCH, RECONSTRUCTION, KERSHAW, LANCASTER COUNTY