Cannon Street Hospital
The Cannon Street Hospital, a three-story brick building, once stood on this site. Established in 1897, its primary mission was to serve the African American community of Jim Crow era Charleston. Its official name was the Hospital and Training School for Nurses. Dr. Alonzo C. McClennan was one of its founders. It closed its doors in 1959 when a new hospital, McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital, was constructed on nearby Courtenay Street. In 1961, the Cannon Street Hospital was torn down.
KEYWORDS: JIM CROW, HOSPITAL, CHARLESTON, GULLAH GEECHEE CULTURAL HERITAGE CORRIDOR