Bowman Rosenwald School
Bowman Rosenwald School, which stood here from 1927 to 1952, was one of several African American schools in Orangeburg County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. The five-room frame building was typical of the larger rural schools built by the Rosenwald Foundation. Bowman Rosenwald School educated about 250 students a year for most of its history, at first in grades 1-8 in a five-month session. By 1948-49, it served grades 1-12 in an eight-month session. Its enrollment grew dramatically after World War II, reaching a peak of 576 students in 1951-52, its last full school year.
KEYWORDS: ROSENWALD SCHOOL, BOWMAN, ORANGEBURG COUNTY