Big Apple / House of Peace Synagogue
Built before 1910, the House of Peace Synagogue was located 100 yards to the south of its present location. The building became home to a popular African American nightclub known as “The Big Apple” after being sold and moved. Nightclub regulars sparked a national dance craze with this same name that was later immortalized in a song by musician Tommy Dorsey.
KEYWORDS: DANCE, ENTERTAINMENT, NATIONAL REGISTER, COLUMBIA, RICHLAND COUNTY