Built between 1922 and 1930, Beulah School was a two-room schoolhouse for African American elementary students. Roughly 50 to 100 students attended school for four to five months. The academic year expanded to eight months in 1939. Janie Colclough and Brantley Singletary were among the dedicated cadre of black teachers who taught here from 1932 through 1946. Beulah School merged in 1952 into Mayesville Elementary School.
KEYWORDS: SUMTER, MAYESVILLE ELEMENTARY