Berkeley Training High School

Berkeley Training High School, first called Dixie Training School, stood here from 1920 until the 1980s. The first public school for blacks in Moncks Corner was founded in 1880. It held classes in local churches until its first school was built in 1900. The three-room school built here was one of almost 500 in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. Rev. James Van Wright led a local effort to fund and build the school, with its slogan “A Dollar or A Day.” It became Berkeley Training High School in the 1930s before it closed in 1970.