Benevolent Societies Hospital
In March 1948, eight local Black benevolent societies founded a hospital for African Americans at this site. It was housed in a former residence that was remodeled and expanded to include rooms for treatment, exams, consultation and operating, as well as a dining room, kitchen, lobby and offices. Funds for the building and equipment were provided by local residents as well as others.
For many years, Benevolent Societies Hospital was the main provider of medical care for African Americans in Williamsburg County. Doctors and nurses often treated patients suffering from conditions related to poverty. The facility was brick-veneered and renovated in 1965. Additions were made to its south side in 1970-1971. The hospital closed several years later, after which this building became a funeral home.
Sponsored by District 11 OES and 11th Masonic District, and the WeGOJA Foundation.