Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture (formerly Avery Institute)
Founded by Francis L. Cardozo in 1865 as the Saxton School, the Avery Normal Institute was a private teacher-training school for African Americans. Three years later, the American Missionary Association purchased a lot on Bull Street and built this three-story brick building. By 1880, Avery Institute boasted nearly 500 students, many of whom became prominent African American educators, professionals, politicians, and civil rights activists. After stints as a private high school and the former site of Palmer College, the building is now home to the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture, a museum and archives supported by the College of Charleston, SC.
KEYWORDS: NATIONAL REGISTER, CHARLESTON, SCHOOL, RESEARCH, CULTURE, GULLAH GEECHEE CULTURAL HERITAGE CORRIDOR