Built around 1875, this one-story Greek Revival cottage was used as a residence and business in the late 19th century by Carolina Alston, an African American businesswoman. Alston acquired the property in 1888, but might have leased it earlier. She operated a dry goods business. In the essay “Negro Business Men of Columbia, South Carolina,” included in the Negro in Business edited by W.E.B. DuBois in 1899, Alston was reported as being in business for 22 years and renowned for the quality of her establishment. She served both black and white customers. Alston sold the property in 1906.