Allen University Historic District
Allen University was founded in Cokesbury, S.C., in 1870 as Payne Institute by a number of AME ministers. In 1880, it was moved to Columbia and renamed Allen University in honor of Bishop Richard Allen, founder of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The school was established for the education of blacks in South Carolina. The campus is composed of five historic buildings: Arnett Hall, named for Rev. Benjamin W. Arnett, Coppin Hall, the Canteen, Chappelle Administration Building, named for William David Chappelle, a former president, and the Joseph Simon Flipper Library.
KEYWORDS: NATIONAL REGISTER, AME, COLUMBIA, RICHLAND COUNTY, RICHARD ALLEN