A.P. Williams Funeral Home
Built between 1893 and 1911, the A. P. Williams Funeral Home was a single-family residence located in the heart of the segregated Washington Street business district in Columbia. Bessie Williams Pinckney and her son, Archie Preston Williams II, converted a section of the building into a funeral home in 1936. In addition to being an entrepreneur, Williams was also a leader in the city’s black community. He twice ran for public office and served for 22 years as an officer in the Columbia NAACP.